CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 28, 2008

My First Book Review...

So I've never done this before...mainly because the books I read just hit me in such a way it's impossible to capture my true feelings about it. However I am so in love with this one that I kinda want to try. I actually used a sentence of it in my last post as my quote. It's called A Voice in the Wind it's the first of a trilogy that follows sic people in their journey through the trials of the failing Roman Empire. One is a young Christian, Hadassah, who was caught in the fall of Jerusalem and is now a slave for a Roman family, the only survivor of her own. She struggles with being open about her faith and fear of the death she's faced and faces nearly every day. Her masters are a family of four the older son, Marcus, fighting his father about everything from politics to how to run the family business. The younger daughter, Julia, is given Hadassah by her mother and makes a series of bad decisions that lead down a road of destruction. Their parents, Pheobe and Decimius, watch as their children become obsessed with pleasure and money and morals are forgotten. Atretes is a German warrior who is now a gladiator. Every one of them is affected differently by the strange Christan they just can't quite figure out. Her stead-fast faith is implanted in their minds and silently convicts them.

The story has wars, fighting, and a bit of romance, and a struggle in a young girl trying to do what she knows is God's will.

If you go through my book I have so many things underlined that jumped out at me. So many of the prayers of Hadassah are a reflection of my own. Her fears the same...she reminds me so much of myself...it almost hurts. God has used this book to show me that no matter what it always pays off to serve not only him, but for him. School no longer seems scary...I know that if I call on his name his peace will be more comforting than the fear antagonizing.

I don't recommend that you read the first one without having the second one ready and waiting for you to pick up. I do recommend that you read it and let it sink in. I have just finished it for the second time in a year...and don't have the second one yet AHHH!! I'm going to the library for it so I can enjoy that one again as well. It is a trilogy, but the third one isn't as pressing as the second. Well how'd I do? I should probably stay away from book reviews huh?

Quote: "Our hope endures the worst of conditions. It's more than our optimism." - Natalie Grant (Our Endures from Relentless)

2 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Great job! I think it is better than my first book review!

Spring M Fricks said...

Hi,

I saw your comment on my page about entering the BG give-a-way and it really struck me so I had to check out your page.

1) nice book review, I want to read it now.

2) I was an interdisciplinary science major in college and chem is a great love of mine.

3) I was so touched by your comment (don't ask me why, it was God) that here is what I want to do. I haven't picked a winner yet but I want to sent you the BG CD. If you will email me with your shipping address (ask your mom first and make sure this is okay) I will go to Air 1 and buy the CD from them so that it is autographed by Barlow Girl.

My email is springfl@comcast.net

talk to you soon.